Rules, Regulations & Policy
Cemetery Grounds Rules:
The cemetery grounds are maintained by the Cemetery Division under the Division of Parks and Recreation. The cemetery grounds are not public property and are not a public park or playground.All visitors are requested to keep in mind that the cemeteries are consecrated to the memories of those who are buried within. Dignified behavior is expected and will be required.
It has been shown that it is necessary to adopt and enforce regulations to govern the conduct of visitors and ensure respect for the deceased, protection of the grounds, and safety of the visitors. The rules and regulations are fair and commonsense guidelines.
Cemetery Rules & Regulations
Policy for Grave Openings:
- Yarmouth Cemetery Division performs all grave openings (effective September 7, 2010.)
- Grave orders for Monday or Tuesday after a holiday must be received by 12:00 PM the Friday before.
- Overtime rate is $40.00 per hour per man for all time other than during regular hours (7:00 AM- 3:30 PM Monday through Friday.)
- Under special circumstances burials will be allowed on Saturday's with the understanding that there will be a charge for a minimum of three (3) hours at the overtime rate.
- Scheduling is to be determined by need and availability.
- War Veteran Residents of the Town of Yarmouth may receive one grave free of charge.
- Their spouses may purchase the adjoining graves at a reduced fee of $25, plus the $10 recording fee. The graves are not transferable.
- The one free grave a veteran receives may also be used to bury a spouse if both are to be cremated or it may be used for one body burial and one cremation burial.
- No in ground plantings are allowed in the Veterans Section.
American Flag Placement:
American flags will be placed on all veterans' graves from Memorial Day through Veteran's Day, after which they will be removed for the winter.